You’ve done all the hard work to prepare for your business’ launch. Now it’s time to celebrate. Holding a grand opening is an effective way to raise awareness about your new business, meet customers in your market, and kick start revenue growth with your first promotions. Setting goals for your grand opening event, planning, and addressing all the details in advance can ensure a successful event. Use this checklist to make sure the basics are covered.
Grand Opening Checklist
You want to welcome as many people as possible to your grand opening, so it’s vital to get the word out to all parts of your target market. Start with this list of media channels to advertise your grand opening event:
- Posters and flyers
- Press release
- Media invitations
- Personal invitations to your business network, friends, and family
- Social media
- Email marketing, with different messages for different segments of your list
- Street signs and banners
Think through your grand opening day’s agenda, planning features that will generate excitement and engage customers. Consider including:
- A ribbon cutting or other photo opportunities
- Activities that will create interest, such as tours or demonstrations
- Promotions or giveaways
When you decide on your grand opening day agenda, make sure you arrange for all of the help you will need and have all systems and supplies ready to go, such as:
- Ribbon, scissors, photographers for the ribbon cutting
- Name tags
- Sound system
- Wi-Fi for demos or systems running both inside and outside your facility
- Technicians or sales associates to conduct demonstrations and necessary equipment
- Associates who will cover the event on social media
- Tickets for drawings
Also, make sure you can take every opportunity to collect names and contact information of new customers to build your marketing database. It’s important to start off on the right food with responsibly collecting and managing data, so make sure you are upfront with customers about how you will use their data and allow them to opt out if they don’t want to receive communications from your business in the future.
A Customer-Ready Business
Grand opening day isn’t the time to work the bugs out of your systems and processes. Everything should be in working order and ready to impress:
- Products and services ready for sale
- Accurate labels and signage
- Clean, orderly facility with all renovations complete
- Your team trained in providing optimal customer experiences
- Systems that collect feedback from customers
Also, your point of sale system (POS system) should be programmed to manage your sales and inventory and collect data on items that generated the most sales. Make sure ample supplies of receipt paper and other consumables are stocked up so you don’t run out. You should also ensure that your staff can use the system quickly and effectively so customers don’t have unnecessarily long waits for service.
Holding a soft opening prior to your grand opening may be a smart strategy. A few evenings of “invitation-only” shopping with family or acquaintances as your customers can give you and your staff a chance to test your operation before you open the doors wide to the community.
After the Grand Opening
Your grand opening event will probably be an exhausting, but exhilarating, day, but don’t take too much time to put up your feet and relax. Your work isn’t over — it’s just beginning:
- Continue to build good relationships with your network by thanking people who attended or provided assistance.
- Distribute a follow-up press release and photos to the media.
- Continue social media engagement by announcing winners of drawings or posting photos.
- Update your customer database with new names and thank them for attending the event.
- Follow up with opportunities you discovered during the event.
A well-planned grand opening can jumpstart business success. Build on this grand opening checklist with items relevant to the unique event you are planning to let your market know you’re ready for business.
You’re invited to attend PlazSales Grand Opening on August 31, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at our facility in Manchester, MO. Read our press release for details and information on the IT equipment reuse and recycling event that we’re holding during the grand opening.